Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Sending Scooter Bob on.....

“Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life - and travel - leaves marks on you. Most of the time, those marks - on your body or on your heart - are beautiful. Often, though, they hurt.”  - Anthony Bourdian

 

Bob is showing his age, his bumps and bruises are there for all to see.  I pack him in a box being sure to wrap in up in bubble wrap and store him in packing peanuts.  I can see where repairs have been made, I had to make one myself to his rear wheel.  His next destination is set and I take a few minutes to wish him well as I pack a little token of his adventures here in Tampa snugly beside him.  

 

 

I am not sure what I expected to happen when I first signed up for this, it was over two years ago after all and I never met the man.  He was however one of the first to reply to what I was writing and that encouraged me to keep writing a blog about my motorcycling adventures. A subject I'm sure some would claim that I knew nothing (and still know nothing) about.  I suppose this was my way of honoring that memory.

 

Tokens from around the world

 

I didn't get to do everything I wanted to do with him either.  However Susan is right, with my work schedule (I work till 8 PM most nights and own a small business on the side) and the current level of craziness that is our lives, it's better to send him on to the next person.  The riding seasons will change quickly in some parts of the country.  Besides if I managed to do everything that I wanted to do with him, I would have him for another month or two. Maybe three.

Its better to send him on, although he was becoming part of the family.  

 

Tipper (black) and Sparky (brown) with Scooter Bob

 

He did get me out though on the bike.  He did allow me to explore a little bit some places that I may have gotten to eventually, or maybe never explored at all.  I suppose that is what this is all about.  

 

We had a death in the family recently which lead to my scrambling to go home to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania recently.  I was there more for moral support as my Susan and her daughter made arrangements, said their goodbye's...and buried a man I liked and respected.   During this time I also celebrated my 50th birthday, with the sad realization that the days ahead of me are less numerous than the days behind me.  I might as well make them worth living.

Scooter Bob didn't get kissed by a mermaid...nor did he see Bok Towers or the wondrous collection of puns (and found artwork) that is Solomon's Castle.    What matters however is the symbolism of Scooter Bob.  He connects a bunch of strangers who enjoy motorcycling, blogging and living life to the fullest.  He takes us out of our comfort zone.  Sometimes that is enough.  That is the brotherhood of two wheels. That is family.  

 

Bob picking out places he would have liked to visit. 

6 comments:

  1. What a long weird journey from when David gave me the scooter in Montreal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really interesting, this breed of traveling thing. It takes on a life of its own.

      It will be interesting to see where it goes next.

      Delete
  2. Great to see SB still out there touring the globe. Nice to see all the souvenirs he's picked up too.

    I had to fix a couple of little "issues" with SB and initially a little sad that he'd got damaged but its actually kinda cool as he's been out there just doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the tour around Tampa having been there only once before. And that was just at the airport. Where to next?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were a wonderful host, Rob. Thank you for showing SB your backyard. And thanks for letting us peek into the box.

    ReplyDelete